Re: Question related to FDE (Full Disk Encryption) solution under Linux Debian Lenny

El 2011-01-24 a las 10:51 +0000, Thomas Nguyen Van escribió:

(replying to the list)

> Morning Cameleon,
> Thanks for your reply to my initial post

You're welcome.

***
> Hardware based FDE that uses BIOS for unlocking the drive should be OS-
> independent and I think the above datasheet is aimed to certify system
> integrators and their software solutions.
>
> I mean, are you sure Momentus drives do not work under linux? I would
> contact Seagate.
***

Adding the asterisks to separate your reply from mine :-)

> I already contact Seagate's support and I was reporting what I said in my ticket.
> That's why I raised this question to the Debian's community. :o)

Maybe you had to be more specific in your request to Segate. Sometimes
happens that people at support centers do not fully always understand
the user's questions :-)

> In another part, the FDE technology depends on your motherboard and can not be applied on any standard motherboard.

Yes, it needs to be done in conjunction with BIOS and most of the hard
disk manufacturers follow the trusted platform policies:

http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/

I wanted to make clear that BIOS based FDE should be not problematic in
Linux systems while software-based FDE solutions obviously depend on the
application to manage the disk security and so, they are
"system-dependent".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón