Re: Missing Disk Space or Partition

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 6:37 PM, RR <ranjtech@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:34 PM, RR <ranjtech@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:49:06 -0500, RR wrote:

(...)

> Once the system gets to the login prompt and I login and run 'df -h', I
> see

You should check the above filesystem errors and try to fix them. I would
review the mentioned file "/var/log/fsck/checkfs".

> /dev/mapper/DebSparcx64--01-root 256M   78M  166M  32% /
> tmpfs                            2.0G     0  2.0G   0%  /lib/init/rw
> udev                              10M  1.1M  9.0M  11%  /dev
> tmpfs                            2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/mapper/DebSparcx64--01-home  30G  177M   29G   1% /home
> /dev/mapper/DebSparcx64--01-tmp  368M   11M  339M   3% /tmp
> /dev/mapper/DebSparcx64--01-usr  4.6G  372M  4.0G   9% /usr
> /dev/mapper/DebSparcx64--01-var  2.8G  189M  2.5G   8% /var

Some thoughts...

It seems you are using a fakeraid or logical volumes setup (/dev/
mapper/...). Can you explain how are the disks configured? How many disks
in use, are they attached to a hard/soft raid controller or inside a
volume? :-?

Yes, I'm using LVM. I actually don't remember how I configured the disks, but I think I copied the scheme as suggested in the the manual (http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/ch06s03.html.en#di-partition) and pretty much as it shows above except I am quite sure I gave all the remaining space to /home to grow. But then again, I don't exactly remember. I didn't think it would be a problem in figuring out later using lvm and fdisk etc kind of tools, but it's weird that I don't know where the rest of the space is?

How did you create the partitions, from Solaris or from Debian installer?

Debian Installer at install time. Debian was installed on a fresh disk (was originally formatted as UFS/Sun but was converted to ext2/3)

> The question now is, if you look carefully, I only have ~37GB showing as
> partitioned. Where is the remaining (72-37 GB) space? This was easy to
> see in 'format' command in Solaris but doing all sort of cart-wheels in
> Debian/Linux, I don't know what the heck these dm-* partitions are,
> which seem to be where this missing space is, and how do I get to it to
> create a valid partition out of it and mount it and use it?

That dm* stands for "device mapper", a framework for block devices. I
dunno about that "format" utility for Solaris but "cfdisk" could be
useful in this case ("man cfdisk" for details).

Ok, thanks. Never heard of cfdisk but will check it out. I had downloaded the "sformat" utility on Debian which is supposed to be the clone of the 'format' command in Solaris but it doesn't seem to be working the same way. Hmmm

For future reference of others, the info I found about cfdisk leads me to believe that Cfdisk is only available for alpha, arm, hppa, i386, ia64, mips, mipsel & powerpc. I presume there is some reason why it doesn't work on sparc. So I ended up finding 'parted' for sparc and this is what it reports:

 (parted) print
Warning: The disk CHS geometry (8924,255,63) reported by the operating system does not match the
geometry stored on the disk label (8924,24,424).

Interesting! We knew something was wrong. Does anyone know how to fix this without destroying my OS? As I've mentioned before, I have no physical access to this machine as it's sitting in our data center in a time zone 15 hrs different than mine, across a VERY big pond! So a non-destructive way of getting my space back would be highly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance,
\RR

I see as more messages are pouring in, this message is getting pushed down further and people won't even see it anymore. Does anyone have a personal doco, blog , cheatsheet for modifying the disk label  (and then I'm assuming I'll have to recreate my partition table) but not losing my data? I have done this sort of stuff of destroying the partition table and re-creating it by hand before without losing the data but I'm just very unfamiliar with this LVM beast and was wondering if someone could help at all?

Thanks in Advance
\RR