Re: firewall package for laptop wi-fi client

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 17:15:15 -0800
Mark <mamarcac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
>

> > For people really concerned with their security in public wifi spots,
> > perhaps the best I can recommend is: just run off of a live CD. It's really
> > a great security policy once you get used to it being somewhat slower; if
> > you can get suspend-to-RAM working, you needn't even worry about longish
> > boot times (which are fairly short with the recent Ubuntus anyway). Of
> > course, even with a live CD you should be careful with sensitive data such
> > as e-mail accounts, online passwords and all the other stuff.
> >

> This is a great idea; I do this when traveling with a work laptop, booting
> Ubuntu off a live usb stick.  With the 10.10 release the boot time is
> unbelievably fast.  There is a way to make the usb media a "persistent"
> installation which allows you to save preferences, etc. to the media so upon
> next boot you aren't reset to defaults.  I myself haven't done that but
> there is probably plenty of discussion on the topic at the Ubuntu forums if
> it interests you.

A live CD will only help for the problem of a rogue public computer -
insofar as you're using your own laptop, why would a live CD add any
security?  [And if you don't trust your own computer, you should be
using a live CD even when browsing from a secure network.]

For me, when it's a work computer that has a Windows-only installation on it, running Ubuntu from a Live CD is the only allowable way to use Linux on the computer.

Mark