Where are "xrandr" settings stored?

Hello,

Yesterday I faced a "chicken-egg" problem :-)

I have a virtual machine (virtualbox) in a notebook with Squeeze
installed and wanted to add an external 17" LCD display (native
resolution is 1280x1024).

The problem came when I mistyped the command and gave xrandr a "wrong
value" to use (by "wrong value" I'll just say that viewable screen area
was 1280x60... yes, that reads "60" for the screen height).

In short, I run:

# xrandr --output VBOX0 --mode 1280x60_60.00

(previously I've added the above mode using cvt tool and the required
modeline value)

After that, xrand obeyed my typed settings (sigh...) and the screen
become something like this:

                       1280 (good)
                          ^
|----------------------------------------------|
|                                              | > 60 (very very very bad)
|----------------------------------------------|

Of course, gnome panel took almost the complete screen and playing inside
the X session was impossible (I couldn't see anything). I thought by
restarting the X server or even the computer, xrandr settings would be
reset but that didn't happen. Also, I started a new session with another
user but the resolution was exactly the same.

Then I concluded that xrandr settings had to have been recorded in any
place outside each user's session profile, but couldn't find the
offending file (I deleted "~/.config/monitors.xml", just in case, but
needless to say it didn't work).

I finally could revert the "minimalistic" screen resolution by using
xterm (typing the commands without seeing them) and providing a new
usable mode to xrandr :-)

After that, some questions arise:

1/ How can it that xrandr settings are remembered for all the users
session?

2/ What is the involved file/tweak command to revert any change and reset
its settings?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón