Re: ? software, ?[OT] hardware

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 16:57:53 +0000, Lisi wrote:

> Help!
>
> I have a weird graphics problem on one of my boxes (the only one with a
> prayer of running VM, and I need to run some VMs).
>
> When I start to boot up all is well.  This has been true with 2
> different versions of Knoppix (5.1.1 and 6.0.1) and three of Debian.
> (1xSqueeze, with Trinity and 2xLenny with KDE).  When all but the
> Squeeze with Trinity reach the point of starting X, the picture
> disappears and the monitor complains that it is out of range.

(...)

I would try two things:

1/ Booting into runlevel 1 (single-user mode) to avoid loading X and get
some clues from you "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" or even the kernel logs.

2/ You can also try to use the "vesa" driver and check if at least the
"out-of-sync" error can be bypassed. In lenny, you can select the driver
to use by tweaking "Driver vesa" stanza in your "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
file. In Squeeze, disabling KMS should force the loading of the vesa
driver (you need to add "nomodeset" as kernel parameter at booting).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón