Re: X: set resolution in Squeeze on a Macbook

On 2011-01-21 17:29 +0100, Richard Lawrence wrote:

> So I tried booting with acpi=off, as I have seen a number of sources
> that say this helps X-related problems on the Macbook go away.  The
> result was: no change in mouse; no change in the graphics resolution;
> but really slow keyboard interaction (at the console and in X).  To fix
> the mouse, I tried unloading and then reloading the appletouch module,
> which actually did help a bit, but didn't bring the mouse back to its
> normal functionality.

With acpi=off, many things will not work well (or at all).  Indeed this
option breaks the i915 kernel module on my laptop.

> Rebooted again (without acpi=off).  Now I'm in X at native resolution,
> for the first time since installing Squeeze.  Mouse works beautifully.
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows that I am at last using the intel driver.  The
> only line before the driver initialization that I can see is different
> from previous attempts is:
>
> (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
>
> ...So should I just hope it lasts? :)

There is an error message from your other post

> [drm:i915_handle_error] *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking

which I think is not fatal, but you could try a newer kernel
(e.g. 2.6.37 from experimental) and see if runs more stable than the
Squeeze kernel on your system.

Sven