? software, ?[OT] hardware

Help!

I have a weird graphics problem on one of my boxes (the only one with a prayer
of running VM, and I need to run some VMs).

When I start to boot up all is well.  This has been true with 2 different
versions of Knoppix (5.1.1 and 6.0.1) and three of Debian. (1xSqueeze, with
Trinity and 2xLenny with KDE).  When all but the Squeeze with Trinity reach
the point of starting X, the picture disappears and the monitor complains
that it is out of range.

Trinity wasn't working otb and I needed this box to install the VMs.  So I put
on Lenny with KDE as a dual boot.  Except that I don't know whether I did.
The out of range message appeared.  I changed the monitor, that didn't make
any difference.

This computer was fine until yesterday morning, when I installed the first
Lenny.  During the installation the installer complained about the fact that
I was trying to put a partition on an already used partition. I cursed - I
was trying to see whether I could persuade Squeeze and Lenny to share the
same swap space - and told the installer to go back.  But it insisted on
finishing.  So I let it go.  It said that it had finished and that I should
reboot.  I did so, and got the out of range message.  I swapped monitor with
another box, but theproblem was still there.  So I attributed it to the
probelem during installation and decided to install Lenny as the only OS on
the box.  The problem did not go away.  I booted into single user and looked
at xorg.conf and there was very little there.  So I decided to try to boot up
Knoppix, chroot and copy-and-paste from Knoppix's xorg.conf to mine.  I have
done this before, and it can work quite well.

But Knoppix 5.1.1 too started well - all the pretty colours and very clear
script - then at about the moment where it should have been starting X, the
screen went blank and complained of no signal.  6.0.1 had the out of range
message.

I am stuck.  The box is second hand  It has on-board graphics which I
understood were turned off in the BIOS and which have certainly not worked
since I've had the box.  But I have tried altering the entry in the BIOS and
also swapping over the connection.

It is an ASRock 775i65G motherboard with Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2.
I do not know what the added card is.  Graphics were functioning fine until
yesterday morning.

Help!  If you can, please! :-)

Lisi