Re: [OT] Build a single binary deb from source which produces many

On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 12:05 +0100, Alberto Luaces wrote:
> Tixy writes:
>
> > As per the Debian FAQ [1] I am building packages from source using:
> >
> >     dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b
> >
> > However, some source packages produce multiple binary packages, is there
> > a way of just rebuilding the specific binary package I'm interested in?
> > (I've tried this out in man pages and using Google.)
> >
> > [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.en.html#s-sourcebuild
> >
> > Marked [OT] because I was to do this on a Debian derivative; but I am
> > also proper Debian user as well :-)
>
> Usually this in not worth the effort, since the multiple binary packages
> are just splitting the products of the compilation for the final users
> to save installation space. That is, you compile all the project, which
> is the slower part, and then the resulting files are splitted.

I guess I asked for the wrong thing :-) What I wanted was to avoid the
hours compilation time for unwanted binary packages. (I'm compiling for
ARM in an emulated environment or on slow hardware - and yes, I'm
looking at other options to do true cross compilation.)

> If you can avoid compile the parts that you are not interested in by
> modifying the rules file, then you can select which things get splitted
> by messing with the control and *install files.

I'll take a look at this, I'm new to debs. I guess I was hoping that
there was an existing facility to build just selected outputs, like you
would get with make and a good makefile.

Thanks

--
Tixy               ()  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign (www.asciiribbon.org)
                   /\  Against HTML e-mail and proprietary attachments