Re: [OT] Build a single binary deb from source which produces many

Tixy writes:

> As per the Debian FAQ [1] I am building packages from source using:
>
>     dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b
>
> However, some source packages produce multiple binary packages, is there
> a way of just rebuilding the specific binary package I'm interested in?
> (I've tried this out in man pages and using Google.)
>
> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.en.html#s-sourcebuild
>
> Marked [OT] because I was to do this on a Debian derivative; but I am
> also proper Debian user as well :-)

Usually this in not worth the effort, since the multiple binary packages
are just splitting the products of the compilation for the final users
to save installation space. That is, you compile all the project, which
is the slower part, and then the resulting files are splitted.

If you can avoid compile the parts that you are not interested in by
modifying the rules file, then you can select which things get splitted
by messing with the control and *install files.

--
Alberto