Re: Mini-PCI WifiCard experience?

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 2:42 AM, Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
If at all possible, do not go with non-free firmware binary blobs, even if provided in Debian-related repositories (in addition, non-free is not even Debian, strictly speaking -- it's just a "service provided to the Debian users"). Binary blobs can not be debugged/improved/enhanced by Linux developers and, as a result, may lead to unreliable operation, lock-ups, disconnects, unimplemented features, slower speeds, lower operating range, or all of the above. When that happens, the manufacturer WON'T help you, and the Linux developers CAN'T. So you'll be pretty much fscked. I know, I use a broadcom card with a proprietary driver and it's a living hell.

Really. Go with a free driver if at all possible, you'll be happy you did.

+1.  I have a laptop with an intel 2200 card and one with a 2915 card using the ipw2200 firmware running wpa.  I've changed routers, switched from stock firmware to dd-wrt, and nothing seems to eliminate the wireless signal strength from fluttering about once every 15-20 minutes; I don't lose connection but the gnome-network-manager icon (and yes wicd does the same thing) will drop from 4 bars to 2, 1, 3, etc, then back up to 4 after a minute or two.

The machine that runs an Ath5k (natively supported driver in Lenny's kernel) based wifi card on the same wireless wpa network never flutters signal strength, for hours.  Needless to say my vote falls directly in line with Klistvud's comments.

Mark