Re: Let's talk about HTTPS Everywhere

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 05:52:47 -0800, Kelly Clowers wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 04:57, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 03:29:15 -0800, S Mathias wrote:
>>
>>> 3) Can someone trust this Add-on? Is it safe to install/use?
>>
>> I don't like/trust anoymous (even encrypted) proxy sites.
>
> Why don't you like them (I get not trusting them), and what does that
> have to do with https everywhere?

As I already said, I thought Tor (a multi-proxy and encrypted network)
was somehow being used with this addon.

>>> What's youre opinion? Or answer? :\
>>
>> My opinion is that I don't want to encrypt all the traffic, at least
>> not with the slow DSL connections/hosts we have now (loading a single
>> page will take seconds). I prefer to leave the SSL/TLS for sensitive
>> data (logins, etc...).
>
> SSL/TLS isn't going to add enough overhead to the packets to make a real
> difference unless you are something slower than DSL.
>
> As far as the encryption/decryption goes, unless you are on a smartphone
> or netbook or a really old computer, it will not matter to you. If
> enough people do it, it will matter to the servers, but that is what
> capacity planning and NICs with encryption offloading engines are for.

I tried many times to use Google services via https (the search engine
and Gmail's webmail) but finally left it because I experience a bit of
delay when running all the javascript and their dynamic stuff. This is
just an example, I know, but encrypted sites has to be very well
configured to avoid noticeable delays.

>> Or better yet, provide a "hardware" solution for transparently encrypt
>> all the data and its transport. Software is slow >:-)
>
> See "NICs with encryption offloading engines" above.

That's interesing, I have read more on this.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón