Re: Let's talk about HTTPS Everywhere

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 04:57, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 03:29:15 -0800, S Mathias wrote:
>
>> 3) Can someone trust this Add-on? Is it safe to install/use?
>
> I don't like/trust anoymous (even encrypted) proxy sites.

Why don't you like them (I get not trusting them), and what does that have
to do with https everywhere?

>> 4) If it's so great why isn't it more prevalent?
>
> - SSL traffic is heavy and slow
> - There no need (normally) for encrypting public navigation (see the note
> below)
>
>> What's youre opinion? Or answer? :\
>
> My opinion is that I don't want to encrypt all the traffic, at least not
> with the slow DSL connections/hosts we have now (loading a single page
> will take seconds). I prefer to leave the SSL/TLS for sensitive data
> (logins, etc...).

SSL/TLS isn't going to add enough overhead to the packets to make
a real difference unless you are something slower than DSL.

As far as the encryption/decryption goes, unless you are on a smartphone
or netbook or a really old computer, it will not matter to you. If enough
people do it, it will matter to the servers, but that is what capacity planning
and NICs with encryption offloading engines are for.

> Or better yet, provide a "hardware" solution for transparently encrypt
> all the data and its transport. Software is slow >:-)

See "NICs with encryption offloading engines" above.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers