Re: Re (7): OpenVPN server mode usage.

peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Thanks.  One additional revision appears necessary.  The man page
> for OpenVPN has the heading "VPN Address Setup" with three examples.
> Each of these examples has a --remote parameter on each end of the
> tunnel.  I assumed that a --remote parameter is essential in every
> configuration.  Not so.  My tunnel now works with remote specified
> only in the system with the dynamic address.

Same here.  Only my dynamic client has a remote set.  The server
simply waits for clients to connect.

> If OpenVPN restarts in the system with the static address, then the
> tunnel will be broken;

Yes.  But the tunnel will start when the client connects.  If you
restart the server then the client will detect this and connect.

> but apparently this is addressed by use of ping parameters.  Say for
> example, "ping 120" on the statically addressed end and
> "ping-restart 130" on the dynamically addressed end.  The dynamic ip
> end must listen for pings and restart when they fail; I do not
> understand why the dynamic ip should send pings.

The client defaults to "--ping-restart 120" if you don't override it
with something different.  I use the default value.  I don't put
anything in the configuration file.

> The tunnel works again but I have yet to prove the ping-restart capability.

I use keepalive 20 120 on my server.  This is the same as specifying
all of four different ping parameters.

  keepalive 20 120

Same as:

  ping 20
  ping-restart 120
  push "ping 20"
  push "ping-restart 120"

Because this exists on the server then the 'push' actions will push
those to the client and configure the client.  I like to keep that
configuration all in one place on the server and have it take effect
globally for all clients.

Bob