Re: KDE install on Squeeze rc1

On Tuesday 18 January 2011 08:52:05 Josep M. Gasso wrote:
> In a Virtualbox VM , I installed Squeeze and some tools that I use, and
> when go to install KDE, this want remove a lot of packages, acroread
> inclosed...is this ok? Or there is any dependencies conflict?
>
> This is the packages list for remove:
>
> 1)      acroread
> 2)      acroread-data
> 3)      acroread-debian-files
> 4)      acroread-dictionary-en
> 5)      acroread-escript
> 6)      acroread-l10n-en
> 7)      acroread-plugins

Where'd you get these packages, I don't see it available in Lenny, testing,
sid, or experimental.  I see acroread-debian-files in the unofficial (and not
ALWAYS compatible) multimedia repository, but not the others.

So, I'd say they are "safe" to remove, but you won't have Adobe Acrobat Reader
anymore.  I don't see a Debian package for that program, not even a -installer
or -downloader package, even in multimedia.

(I recommend Okular as a PDF reader, but I'm a KDE user.)

> 8)      build-essential
> 9)      g++
> 10)     g++-4.4

These should be able to stay on a system with KDE SC 4 installed; they are on
my system.  Most likely they were dropped because your aptitude wants the
wrong version of (or to remove) stuff they depend on.

You should be able to retain these package and still install KDE, if you want.

I don't know if you are aware, but aptitude will propose other solutions if
you don't accept the first one, and you can further guide the resolver with
various preference expressions from the "[Y/n/q/?]" prompt.  Use the '?'
option to get more details about that.  I also like using the ncurses inteface
for that; you can jump right into the resolver part of the ncurses interface
by answering 'e' at the "[Y/n/q/?]" prompt.

> 11)     ia32-libs
> 12)     ia32-libs-gtk
> 13)     ia32-libs-xulrunner
> 14)     lib32asound2
> 15)     lib32bz2-1.0
> 17)     lib32ncurses5
> 19)     lib32v4l-0

I don't have any of these installed.  As library packages, they are likely
safe to remove.  Other packages that need them will Depend on them and prevent
their removal.  They only reason to have a library package installed
explicitly is if you are a developer using that library in your own programs.

> 16)     lib32gcc1
> 18)     lib32stdc++6
> 20)     lib32z1

I do have these installed on my system with KDE SC 4.  So, 32-bit libraries
are not entirely incompatible with it.  Still, these should be safe to remove
as well.  (I have gcc-multilib installed for compiling ia32 programs on my
amd64 installation; I am a developer from time to time.)

> 21)     libc6-dev
> 22)     libc6-i386
> 23)     libstdc++6-4.4-dev

libc6-i386 is another 32-bit library and, again, safe to remove.  The -dev
packages are normally only needed for developers, but they will be pulled in
by build-essential, if you decide to keep that package.

> Any help will be appreciated..it's a bit strange remove acroread and
> libc6-i386 !!

I think what is happening is that KDE SC 4 needs a newer libc than what the
(old, unmaintained?) acroread package supports.  So, installing KDE SC 4
requires the acroread package to be removed.  This removal "cascades" to your
32-bit libraries since acroread was the only program using them.

> Here there is the full log:
>
> root@debianbetaa:~# aptitude install kde-full
> The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
>   libc-bin libc6

I'd recommend against downgrading these packages (or any package, FWIW).  I'm
not sure what part of kde-full would need the 2.11.2-6+squeeze1 version (from
testing[security]) specifically instead of the 2.11.2-7 version that is
currently in testing (and includes the security fix).

That said, I don't use kde-full.  I use kde-standard, plus other packages as
needed.  (I used to use kde-minimal, but that package seems to have been
dropped at least temporarily by the KDE/Qt packaging team.)

HTH,