Re: Why is Evolution and Epiphany now a part of gnome-core?

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 18:36:57 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> (note that everybody can reopen a bug)

Camaleón, I read all your posts, and agree to them all. But I have to say
I don't agree with you on this one.

For *this specific case*, I *do* consider the DD's reply being
"pointlessly abrasive, inappropriate and offensive". Giving such a jerky
backlash, do you think it will make any difference for 1, or 10 or even a
thousand Debian users oppose the DD's decision?

> Debian is a distribution that tends to split packages a lot (and I mean
> *a lot*) which I really think _is a good practice_ because it gives
> both, plain users (by means of metapackages) and admins (by cherry
> picking just the needed packages) the full control on their systems.

Totally agree. Also, please note, for this specific case, the DD doesn't
even have to get himself into trouble fiddling with the gnome-core
packages. Just put those off-loading packages into, say,

 gnome-cd1 = GNOME installation designed to fit on one CD

Nobody would care which GNOME packages he think should go into CD 1, and
nobody would say anything.

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 11:01:51 -0800, Mike Bird wrote:

> And thus one lazy DD creates headaches for thousands of sysadmins.

Strongly agree. And headaches for tens of thousands of power users as
well.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/