Re (7): OpenVPN server mode usage.

From:	Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net>
Date:	Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:42:45 -0800
> Your config works without "mode server".

Thanks.  One additional revision appears necessary.
The man page for OpenVPN has the heading "VPN Address Setup"  with
three examples.  Each of these examples has a --remote parameter on each
end of the tunnel.  I assumed that a --remote parameter is essential  in every
configuration.  Not so.  My tunnel now works with remote specified only
in the system with the dynamic address.  If OpenVPN restarts in the system
with the static address, then the tunnel will be broken; but apparently this is
addressed by use of ping parameters.  Say for example, "ping 120" on the
statically addressed end and "ping-restart 130" on the dynamically addressed
end.  The dynamic ip end must listen for pings and restart when they fail; I
do not understand why the dynamic ip should send pings.

The tunnel works again but I have yet to prove the ping-restart capability.

Thanks again,              ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 450 2132.