Re: Lenny - xvinfo: No Adaptors present.. No XVideo

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 16:24:17 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 06:58:54AM EST, Camaleón wrote:

> Ten years I've been using X every day and apart from a few silly tricks
> learned through experience.. I'm just about as ignorant as I was when I
> started off.

Read it as follows: you've had ten years of a troubleless X system so you
should to be proud of that ;-)

>> how is that possible? :-?
>
> Broken environment..? :-)

Something was messed up, yep.

>> Now look mine:
>>
>> ***
>> (II) LoadModule: "glx"
>> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so (II) Module
>> glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation" compiled for 1.4.2, module version =
>> 1.0.0 ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3 (==) AIGLX enabled
>> (II) Loading extension GLX
>> ***
>>
>> Here is loading the Xorg stock GLX extension.
>
> I _assumed_ I might be able to conjure up some trick or other to switch
> between the nvidia and nv drivers.. maybe not quite on the fly.. but at
> least without having to reboot.. as a result, you caught me right in the
> middle of testing possible solutions and I had not removed the nvidia
> packages.
>
> As Sven rightly observed, what I had failed to notice was that since I
> had no GLX at all loaded in my Xserver.. OpenGL programs did not work
> any more.. But as Sven also remarked, this is a separate problem.

AFAICT, you can have both drivers installed (at least in lenny), "nv" and
"nvidia" and then adjust your "xorg.conf" file accordingly. In all the
machines I have the "nvidia" driver installed it lives in harmony with
"xserver-xorg-video-nv" :-)

>> ***
>> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
>> (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device (--)
>> Chipset Quadro FX 1500 found
>> ***
>
> This log is lenny's.. and my card is unsupported by either ‘nv’ or
> ‘nvidia’, so that would appear to be consistent.

Well, your card is supported but not all features are available when
using the "nv" driver, as it seems :-(

>> I still don't see why are you so reluctant to "test" the closed source
>> driver. Just to test, for seeing how it goes and if it solves nothing
>> then at least you can decide the next step with confidence :-)
>
> Not at all. I tested it under squeeze where my card is supported and the
> newer nvidia driver addresses the ‘black console’ issue. On the other
> hand, I was experiencing extreme slowness in programs such as icesweasel
> and a completely broken keyboard with stuff like the down arrow key
> mapped to Mode_Switch (!) .. try to do a dpkg-reconfigure that brings up
> ncurses screens with a broken down arrow.
>
> At that point, I decided that it made better sense to reinstall squeeze
> at some point in the future and start again from scratch.

The "black console" can be because in Squeeze KMS is enabled by default
so, when using the nvidia driver, you have to ensure that KMS is off.

> But since the card is working fine in ubuntu 10.10, I am not really
> worried about getting this to work now.
>
> At this point, I am more concerned as to what completely borked my
> out-of-the-box squeeze environment.

Your card is very powerful and I'm sure you will get the best of it with
the closed drivers, but I don't want to repeat like a loop myself by
telling you the advantadges of using the nvidia driver :-)

>> So you can test the closed driver in squeeze and see how it goes. If
>> all is fine you can then install the latest driver available from
>> nvidia site in lenny (it will require driver compilation).
>
> Thanks, but since within a few months I will have switched to squeeze
> for my activities.. it's probably not worth it. After all, the only
> thing (apart from DRI) that's not working in lenny, is that I have to
> use the ‘x11’ video driver in  mplayer.. and as a result, I cannot watch
> the news full-screen. I can live with that.

Okay, just remember Squeeze uses a different set of driver (nouveau) than
lenny (nv), it is possible that you don't need to tewak anything there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón