Re: [SOLVED] Is squeeze compatible with WD20EARS and other 2TB drives?

Dne, 16. 01. 2011 07:04:47 je Stefan Monnier napisal(a):
>> > I'm down on these drives due to the maniacal 8 second head park
>> > interval, which likely does more mechanical damage than it saves power
>> > in dollar terms.
>> There is simply no concrete evidence to back this urban legend.
> In the WD20EARS I purchased this was in no way just a legend -- be it
> urban or rural or otherwise.

I'd be really surprised if you had evidence that your drive failed
because of mechanical damage due to aggressive head-park.

And if your drive failed while still young, well that happens to the
best of the drives, and is no evidence that those drives fail more often
than others and even less that if they do it's due to the aggressive
head-park.

I was referring to the first part of the sentence, namely that the 8-second head park interval was not an urban legend. The drive I got came with the factory setting of 8 seconds. I was not referring to the second part (about it doing more mechanical damage than saving power), although I do see a point there. I see your point too, and while I wouldn't go as far as calling it an urban legend, I'd definitely say it's largely a matter of perspective. From my perspective, power saving was not the primary concern; I purchased the drive hoping it would turn out to be

1. quiet enough;
2. reasonably durable, given its slowish rotational speed; and
3. having an optimal per-gigabyte price.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.