Re: [SOLVED] Is squeeze compatible with WD20EARS and other 2TB drives?

Stefan Monnier:

> I don't care much about performance: I have a WD10EADS in a wl700ge, for
> example (yes, that's a home router with a 266MHz MIPS cpu and 64MB of
> RAM: no fan, no noise).

My two WD10EARS are sitting in a MiniITX case with four hotswap bays.
The system runs 24/7, uses an Atom CPU (D510) and all filesystems on the
WDs are encrypted (LUKS on top of LVM on top of software RAID10).
Result:

- I don't care about hard disk performance, since the CPU is the
  bottleneck for most IO operations. And my usage (audio/video
  streaming, fileserver for one or two clients) doesn't demand much
  performance anyway.

- I do care about power usage and the CPU actually demands less power
  than all hard disks (4*3.5", 1*2.5" + slimline DVD) combined.

- I only care a little about noise. Inside this case, the drives need
  active cooling anyway. Otherwise they would be running at >60°C.

What I want to say is: everybody has different needs and general
statements about the usefulness of specific drives are most probably
false in one or another usage scenario.

Regarding the 4k blocks: IMVHO, this time it's the free software crowd
that didn't get their act together in time. These disks exist for quite
a while now and even if some of them report the wrong block size, the
tools don't even automatically do the right thing for disks that don't.

J.
--
I hate myself but have no clear idea why.
[Agree]   [Disagree]