Re: Debian (sid) painfully slow.

2011/1/8 Neil Youngman <ny@youngman.org.uk>:
> On Friday 07 Jan 2011 18:39:52 Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> > I will continue to observe the system, with swapping in mind as a
>> > possible  factor and see if there is a correlation.
>>
>> But if it was swapping you would see the HDD light being lit when you
>> were not doing any obvious disk activity. If you have not seen that then
>> it is not swapping.
>
> The system box is under a desk and the HDD light is not easily visible.
>
>> I have CPU load monitors in both X and VT. Does your CPU load go up when
>> you get these difficulties?
>
> I have BOINC mopping up my spare cycles, so it's rarely below 100%. Stopping
> BOINC for a while might be a worthwhile diagnostic at some point.
>
> Neil Youngman

I'm currently running sid/experimental, with BOINC taking up to 100% of CPU
system is quite responsive; here are some of my observations:

when running gnome system was almost unusable - GUI was pretty much
 unresponsive; XFCE was much better but glitches got on my nerves,
 after trying LXDE I started using fluxbox - now it is working almost
 w/o any problems;

on really heavy load sometimes memory manager is causing flood to memory
(memory leak taking up to 6GB RAM in 2s); these floods are happening almost
 always when  listening music; most often it happens with VLC. Now I
just kill -9 vlc
 and move on; This may look bad but in fact it is quite good - on older kernels
 (2.6.36 and lower) I also experienced random fs crash - sometimes even 2 or 3
 in one day (when I was still using lenny);

and remember that when you are starting BOINC it is loading its apps
and data in to
memory, which may take some time

darkestkhan
jid: darkestkhan@gmail.com