Re: OpenVPN server mode usage.

peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > But an openvpn configuration shouldn't be depending upon dynamic dns.
> Nevertheless, the tunnel fails.

Hmm...

> peter@joule:~$ grep refused  /var/log/syslog
> Jan  9 15:08:53 joule ovpn-myvpn[1903]: read UDPv4 [ECONNREFUSED]: Connection refused (code=111)

Joule on your dynamic IP address was refused connection to Dalton at
the static IP address.  That seems to be unrelated to dynamic DNS.

> More specifically.
> joule:/etc/shorewall# traceroute -p 1194 -P udp 142.103.107.137
> traceroute to 142.103.107.137 (142.103.107.137), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
>  1  * * *
>  2  * * *
> ISP blocks tunnel datagrams?  If that is the case it's a recent change.

That command just flings packets at the remote target.  I don't think
there is a reason for there to be a response.  Just to be sure tried
that command here.  I get the same behavior with that exact command
between systems that have a working openvpn connection on port 1194
udp.  Therefore I think that command doesn't do what you think it will
do.  I see the packets at the both ends.  But there isn't any reason
for the server to respond to them.

> Thanks for any further ideas,      Peter E.

If joule is getting connection-refused from dalton then there must be
a reason for it.

Do the packets arrive at dalton?  You should be able to see this with
tcpdump.

  tcpdump -lni any port 1194

Bob