Re: Debian (sid) painfully slow.

On Saturday 08 January 2011 13:46:05 Neil Youngman wrote:
> On Saturday 08 Jan 2011 09:29:47 Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> > So, what did you do exactly? I am asking, because upgrading from Lenny
> > to sid is not as easy as replacing "lenny" with "sid" in your
> > sources.list and running "apt-get dist-upgrade".
> >
> > It is a much better idea to follow the process outlined in the release
> > notes [1] in order to upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze. You can upgrade to
> > sid afterwards.
>
> OK, I'm obviously missing something here. Sid is testing, squeeze is in
> testing, I thought sid and squeeze were essentially the same thing?

No - Squeeze is testing, Sid is unstable.  Very much not the same thing.
Squeeze is nearly ready for release, and so is pretty stable.  The
progression is:

Unstable - Sid (always)
Testing - currently Squeeze.  Soon to be Wheezy (the present, Sid)
Stable - Lenny now.  Soon to be Squeezy.
Old Stable - Etch, but soon to be Lenny.

Lisi