Re: Debian (sid) painfully slow.

On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 01:31:32PM +0000, teddieeb@tmo.blackberry.net wrote:
> With that kind of hardware you shouldn't be having resource problems, bloat ware or not...
>
> It could be, as mentioned before, a process hogging it all... But
>
> $ top
>
> Would show that... With drive write issues, have you ruled out hardware? A bad hard disk controller on your motherboard or failures with RAM, Buses, or the Proc could all be culprits... Do you have a way to swap parts with known goods, friends in a user or LUG group maybe that can loan compatible hardware for troubleshooting???

I've looked at top, iotop, straced processes and other such things.
Nothing at this point showed up.  Everything is otherwise idle with
mimimal load.

But it's not specific to a single machine.  I've seen the same
intermittent freezing on a variety of hardware, from laptops to
much bigger systems, the largest being an 8 core Xeon with 16 GiB
memory and 3TB of disc.

For these reasons, I think something in the current desktop
environments, X11, dbus or some other common feature is to blame.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh