Re: sleeping the system vs hibernate or suspend

briand@aracnet.com wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 12:08:27 -0600
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
briand@aracnet.com wrote:
On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:44:22 -0600
Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM,  <briand@aracnet.com> wrote:
Someone posted (to this list) a simple command line for
sleeping the system.

acpitool -S  =>  suspend to disk (hibernate)  =>  Puts machine
into S4. acpitool -s  =>  suspend to ram (sleep)         =>
Puts machine into S3.

man acpitool

it is, appropriately, in the acpitool package.

But do either of the commands work?

I'll be darned... 'acpitool -s' *works from a VT* (not from X).
Except I get this from alsa when KUSC is playing with mplayer:

works from X for me.  I was *shocked* when I tried it the first time
and it worked.

How do you invoke it from X? 'sudo acpitool -s' in xterm or konsole?

Hugo

As you noted, it's very fast, which is why I don't think that there is
any swapping or state-saving going on.  I think it just puts things
into a low power state.  My guess is that the RAM is running normally,
the CPU is halted, etc...