Re: sleeping the system vs hibernate or suspend

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
briand@aracnet.com wrote:
On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:44:22 -0600
Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM,  <briand@aracnet.com> wrote:
Someone posted (to this list) a simple command line for sleeping the
system.

acpitool -S  =>  suspend to disk (hibernate)  =>  Puts machine into
S4. acpitool -s  =>  suspend to ram (sleep)         =>  Puts machine
into S3.

man acpitool

it is, appropriately, in the acpitool package.

But do either of the commands work?

I'll be darned... 'acpitool -s' *works from a VT* (not from X).
Except I get this from alsa when KUSC is playing with mplayer:

[AO_ALSA] Pcm in suspend mode, trying to resume.
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:709:(snd_pcm_hw_resume) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_RESUME failed (-38): Function not implemented

Which is bug 574844, I believe. Which is an mplayer bug but nothing heard from since august 2010.

But sound is there, X is there, and of course it is instantaneous.

FWIW, this is with Sid and a box with an M4N98TD EVO asus mobo, 4 GB of memory, one "GeForce 8400 GS" NVidia PCI-e card, 2 IDE disks, 1 SATA disk and 1 USB disk.

I had sound going, VT's going and X going with google-chrome browser and TB and Konsole.

When I issue 'acpitool -s' from konsole on X, the system does not shut down right and does not resume but boots with the 4 disks messed up.

Hugo