Re: Sound recording in Debian Lenny

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:44:20 +0000, Lisi wrote:
>
>> I need a sound recorder, and would prefer that it be in Debian Lenny,
>> but a dual-boot would be possible.  It must fulfil the following
>> criteria:
>>
>> 1) Be managed by someone who knows a little bit about Linux, less about
>> Debian and absolutely zilch about sound recording and balancing etc.

Not sure if matching this criteria, but the very basic I've
successfully used like years ago to record from some old LPs is plain
arecord.  From the MAN output:

------------
NAME
       arecord, aplay - command-line sound recorder and player for
ALSA soundcard driver

SYNOPSIS
       arecord [flags] [filename]
       aplay [flags] [filename [filename]] ...

DESCRIPTION
       arecord  is a command-line soundfile recorder for the ALSA
soundcard driver.
       It supports several file formats and multiple soundcards with multiple
       devices. If recording with interleaved mode samples the file is
automatically
       split before the 2GB filesize.

       aplay is much the same, only it plays instead of recording. For
supported soundfile
       formats, the sampling rate, bit depth,  and  so  forth  can  be
automatically determined
       from the soundfile header.

       If filename is not specified, the standard output or input is
used. The aplay utility
       accepts multiple filenames.

arecord and aplay chould come with alsa-utils:

% apt-cache search 'arecord'
alsa-utils - Utilities for configuring and using ALSA

--
Javier.