Re: What happened to consolechars?

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 01:13:39AM +0000, Phil Requirements wrote:
> On 2011-01-02 14:23:55 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > Some characters are not displayed correctly on my monitor.  The command
> > consolechars -d used to correct this problem but now it is unknown.
> >
> > Now the command is gone and apt-cache search consolechars returns
> > nothing.
>
> I don't know about consolechars.

That's probably because Debian switched back from console-tools to
kbd.  console-tools was unmaintained and kbd supported more stuff.
You want to use "setfont", or just edit /etc/default/console-setup
and restart console-setup.  Note that setfont /is/ consolechars,
but supports larger fonts.  I'm using a 16×32 font with the following
settings:

CHARMAP="UTF-8"
CODESET="Uni2"
FONTFACE="TerminusBold"
FONTSIZE="32x16"

i.e. /etc/default/console-setup is where setfont gets the font
information from; you don't need to run it by hand yourself.  This
is actually a nice improvement over the previous methods.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh