Re: What happened to consolechars?

On 2011-01-02 14:23:55 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Some characters are not displayed correctly on my monitor.  The command
> consolechars -d used to correct this problem but now it is unknown.
>
> Specifically the problem is typically with the arrows which mutt uses to
> indicate the subject threads.  Instead of lines and arrows the display
> uses the letter a with a circumflex, the 3/4 character, the copywrite
> symbol and another special symbol.
>
> In text occasionally odd symbols appear in the middle of words and in
> place of numbers or bullets in lists of items.

I don't know the answer to where consolechars is hiding, but I wanted
to give you something else to think about. The problem you are
describing, where special characters, like line-drawing characters and
bullets, have been replaced with weird characters, is the classic
symptom of an application not supporting UTF-8.

In this case, I think it is your terminal emulator which is not
supporting UTF-8. What terminal emulator are you using? Try running
mutt in xterm and see if the arrows improve.

> Normally I just ignore all this as I know what is meant but occasionally
> it results in some ambiguity.  In the past when this was a problem I
> used the command consolechars -d where the -d was to restore a default
> character set.  Since lang=en.US,UTF-8 has always been specified in
> locale I have no idea what this default character set was, I only knew
> it fixed the problem.
>
> Now the command is gone and apt-cache search consolechars returns
> nothing.

I don't know about consolechars.

Hope that helps,

Phil