Re: Radeon 8500, kdetv, and xawtv broken - no video overlay device

On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 12:59:54PM -0500, Robert Braddock wrote:
> Now, it seems as though my overlay device just isn't there.  Kdetv
> says there's no video device at all and xawtv reports "no usable
> video port found".

FYI, someone on the xorg list gave me a tip to put "radeon.modeset=0" on
the kernel command-line at boot.  After doing that, the overlay device
is back, but kdetv and xawtv still don't work:
kdetv shows some red lines instead of video
xawtv can only show video at the default tiny window size.  Any resizing
 will resize the image, but be black everywhere that wasn't visible through
 the default window (even if I start it with -fullscreen).

Is there any other program that understands the video overlay device
thing?  Kdetv and xawtv just don't seem to prioritize working...

Can I get a /dev/video0 for a Radeon 8500's input?  Xorg obviously isn't
going to bother to keep it working, and it would be really nice to be
able to use a better program than xawtv.

--
Robert