Re: build your own ... (primarily Linux/Debian multiboot box)

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 15:27:12 +0000
Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx@gmail.com> wrote:

> ~
>  this is not a hardware community but you will see why I ask this q
> here: ~
>  At sites like these:
> ~
>  http://www.tomshardware.com/theme-build-your-own,156.html
> ~
>  http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2366841,00.asp
> ~
>  you find pretty good outlines/step-by-step guides on how to build a
> PC on your own. The thing is that these guidelines mostly "follow the
> money" instead of doing a use case analysis of the hardware (e.g.
> optimal balance of quantity and type/quality of memory + SSD and
> harddrives (+ mainboard/processor)) that would let you grow as you go
> ~
>  Even though I almost exclusively work on Linux/Debian, I need to
> build a multiboot PC and one of the critical points to me is for the
> box to easily go into hibernation (and back ;-)) in no time and with
> no problem whatsoever. I know the combination of right hard- and
> software is very important for that to happen safely
> ~

sleeping properly is one of the things I have a great deal of trouble
with on Linux systems.  Usually it's the video card, so I would pay
special attention to that.

Having said that, older hardware tends to work better in this regard,
and as Camaleon says, try to use things which have free software
drivers.

Brian