Re: need motherboard recommendation

Russell L. Harris put forth on 12/27/2010 7:10 PM:

> Ah-so!  Now I see your point of confusion.  At the start of the
> thread, I mentioned two motherboards -- a P5Q-EM and a M3A78-T.  With
> the M3A78-T there were line artifacts.  But with the P5Q-EM, the
> problem was simply that the display went blank when X started; there
> were no line artifacts.

Thank you for clarifying that.  Yes, I understood that you had the line
problem with both motherboards.

> I understand what you are saying; but from my perspective, life is too
> short and components are too inexpensive to spend hours and days with
> this, when there is a work-around.  I replaced the M3A78-T with
> another motherboard, using the same chassis and power supply, and
> there is no problem with line artifacts.  The M3A78-T obviously is
> defective.

Given my understanding of the problem, no matter how many times you
swapped the motherboards the problem would persist because it lay in
something other than the electronics.

However, depending on the dollar value of one's time, I can wholly agree
with your point.  Replacing an entire PC with a branded unit can be done
for around $300-400 sans monitor today, or with a cheap bundled 17" LCD
during a sale (Dell, HP, etc).  Replacing the entire unit would have
solved the problem I foresaw.  Although, one still has drive cloning or
OS/app/data reinstall labor on the bill.  If you have an easy and
reliable drive cloning process this time is minimal.

--
Stan