need motherboard recommendation

I am tossing into the dumpster the last two motherboards which I
purchased -- Asus M3A78-T (AMD64) and Asus P5Q-EM (i386) -- because of
video problems.  I purchased the boards because of the long-life solid
capacitors.  (Motherboard life typically is limited by deterioration
of conventional electrolytic capacitors with age and heat.)

With the M3A78-T, the POST screen displayed a cross-hatch pattern of
horizontal and vertical red and green lines with a variety of
monitors, both CRT and LCD.  The pattern also is visible in terminal
mode outside of X.  Three trips back to Asus did not cure the problem.

With the P5Q-EM, the display goes blank ("out of range" message on the
monitor) when X starts.

I need a recommendation for a reliable desktop motherboard for normal
desktop use (no gaming) with Debian Lenny or Squeeze.  My primary
application is writing and typesetting with XEmacs, LaTeX, etc.

I would prefer a motherboard with solid capacitors.  I would prefer a
brand other than Asus, and I would lean toward Gigabyte or Intel.

If you recommend a motherboard without integrated graphics, kindly
recommend also a readily-available graphics card.

Thanks!

RLH