Re: need motherboard recommendation

* Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> [101227 08:28]:
> I seriously doubt a DIMM is the problem.  I can physically see what you
> describe with words, but it sure sound like an EMI/RFI issue, not the
> hardware, _especially_ after swapping mobo guts twice.

>From amateur radio experience in years past, I know a little about
EMI/RFI.  But aside from whatever radiation leaks from a home LAN, I
am not aware of a strong source of interference.  Besides, the
pattern which I see is regular and stable -- lines perfectly
horizontal and vertical, spaced about 1/8-inch or 1/4-inch as
I recall.  One colour (red or green, I forget) for the horizontal
lines, and the other colour for the vertical lines.

> > No, I did not know that.  I have been running Debian for ten years
> > now, but I never have learned to use the logs.
>
> .... If you now tell us you have used the windows event viewer I will
> personally drive a wooden stake through your heart. ;)

I parted company with M$-DO$ and Window$ when the calendar rolled over
from A.D. 1999 to A.D. 2000, on which occasion M$-Word 5.0 (the last
rodent-independent version of WORD) began writing garbage to data
files.  This was one of the few _genuine_ Y2K bugs; M$ acknowledged
it, and abandoned Word 5.0.

At that point, I came face-to-face with the evil of proprietary
formats for data storage, and I resolved never again to use editors
which stored documents in anything other than plain text.

Having started out with MS-WORD 1.0 back about 1980, I lost hundreds
of documents, because there was no practical way to automate recovery
of the text, much less, of the formatting.  That experience led me to
Linux, Emacs, and TeX.  After a year of trying nearly every variety of
Linux, I decided to commit to Debian.  I am not a novice, but neither
am I a Linux guru.  For me, Linux is a means to an end.

> > No, each monitor has its own cable.  And the lines (horizontal and
> > vertical, red and green) do not appear with any other motherboard
> > which I have attached to these monitors.
>
> Cabling is likely irrelevant.
>
> To fix your problem Russell:
> 1.  Remove the electric pencil sharpener and/or stapler from your
> desk.
> 2.  If you have a florescent lamp/light remove it.
> 3.  Remove anything with an electric motor or transformer of any
> kind including charger bases for cell phones, cordless screwdrivers,
> VHS or other magnetic head recording device, etc, etc.

None of these are a factor; the nearest potential source of
interference is a ceiling fluorescent fixture.  And I see the same
pattern with the machine in different rooms.

> If you still see the screen artifacts, find different employment, as
> that office/site is dangerous.  :)

I've read warnings about cellular towers; but none is close by.

The problem is that this diagnosis does not address the fact that other
machines using the same monitors do not exhibit the lines in terminal
mode; that is one of the first things I checked.  It is difficult to
escape the conclusion that the M3A78-T is defective or else
overly-sensitive to emi/rfi.

%%%

Thanks all.

RLH