Re: "No devices found" in X

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 03:30:38PM EST, Celejar wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 09:03:34 -0500
> Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 08:59:17AM EST, Celejar wrote:

[..]

> > Not sure if it's relevant, but this vaguely reminds me of having had to
> > add my old ATI mach64's module 'atyfb' to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
> > to run the FB console in 1400x1050 mode without having to compile custom
> > kernels. Timing issue, I guess. I see that I still have it configured
> > this way in my lenny setup.

[..]

> Interesting, thanks.  I'm going to file a bug with upstream, and I'll
> report back here when I've done so.

If you still have your old kernel w/o the module built-in, and if there
is framebuffer console module for your chip that is comparable to atyfb
for the mach64 rage/pro, you could also see if (re)gen'ing your initrd
makes any difference. I haven't looked at that stuff in years, but
I vaguely remember that it was as simple as running update-initramfs in
the initramfs-tools package. But don't take my word for it, unless you
are familiar with the proedure, you do need to research it a bit.

cj