Re: "No devices found" in X

On 2010-12-20 04:56 +0100, Celejar wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 22:25:55 +0100
> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-12-19 20:56 +0100, Celejar wrote:
>>
>> > Running uptodate Sid.  I usually run self-compiled kernels (from
>> > kernel.org git mainline repo) with standard Debian Sid X.
>>
>> You need to set CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y in your kernel configuration.  See
>> the recent bug reports on the xserver-xorg-video-intel package.
>
> Right you are, as usual.  We have this:

> So I fixed that, and now I seemed to be worse off than before - the
> system seemed to just hang early on in the boot process with a blank
> screen.

This may be due to the use of a framebuffer in grub2, or because
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is not set in the kernel configuration.  For
the former, try to disable the framebuffer and use text mode (please
consult the grub documentation how to do that, I'm not using grub2
myself yet).

> I've checked the framebuffer section of my kernel config, and made sure
> that FB_I810 is enabled, but the problem remains.  Am I on the right
> track?

No, FB_I810 is for older Intel graphics, not for yours.  You should not
enable it.

> Looking around some more, I see that the Gentoo Wiki claims that with
> Intel and KMS the framebuffer drivers should *not* be built, and
> *building* them may actually cause black screens!

Building them is harmless, but loading them could cause a black screen.
But I think intelfb and co. are all blacklisted, so should not be loaded
unless you explicitly asked for them.

> Can anyone point me to a proper explanation of what I need to do to
> get the console working here?

You need CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y.  See also the Debian Wiki:
http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting.

Sven