Re: Does somebody know how to install mintbackup for Debian

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 23:17:26 +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>
>>  There is a package in Linuxmint called mintbackup. What this tool
>> does is somebody can use that, make a backup of his packages and use it
>> on some other machine to make an identical copy as the first one.
>>
>> Does anybody know :-
>>
>> a. How to install mintbackup on Debian ?
>
> Linuxmint is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian... so, in the end
> what you have is a ".deb" file but I would not mix packages from
> different distributions: it could work or it could give you nothing but
> headaches :-)
>
>> b. If not, does anybody know of a similar tool to mintbackup in the
>> Debian Universe ?
>
> Yes, there is another way (Debian based) that you can explore:
>
> Copying Debian package selections to a new machine
> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/copying_debian_package_selections_new_machine

There's a version of Mint that's based on Debian rather than on Ubuntu
by using the Debian repos and adding its own repos for its own
packages. You could try installing mintbackup in a Debian VM to see
how it behaves; it's "just" a python script.

mintbackup backups and restores files and directories and backups and
restores package selections so I don;t think that there's one
equivalent Debian or Ubuntu tool.