Re: Does somebody know how to install mintbackup for Debian

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 23:17:26 +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:

>  There is a package in Linuxmint called mintbackup. What this tool
> does is somebody can use that, make a backup of his packages and use it
> on some other machine to make an identical copy as the first one.
>
> Does anybody know :-
>
> a. How to install mintbackup on Debian ?

Linuxmint is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian... so, in the end
what you have is a ".deb" file but I would not mix packages from
different distributions: it could work or it could give you nothing but
headaches :-)

> b. If not, does anybody know of a similar tool to mintbackup in the
> Debian Universe ?

Yes, there is another way (Debian based) that you can explore:

***
Copying Debian package selections to a new machine
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/copying_debian_package_selections_new_machine
***

Greetings,

--