Re: USB soundbar as default audio device

Chris Jones wrote:

>> > input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Device [HOLTEK  AudioHub Speaker] on
>> > usb-0000:00:07.2-1.4.4 usb 1-1.4.4: New USB device found,
>> > idVendor=046d, idProduct=0a0e usb 1-1.4.4: New USB device strings:
>> > Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0 usb 1-1.4.4: Product: AudioHub Speaker
>> > usb 1-1.4.4: Manufacturer: HOLTEK
>> >
>> > Not much that looks like a reference to a chip, at least to my
>> > uneducated eyes. As you notice the device doubles as a USB hub.
>
> > I couldn't find information about the chip or even if the card is
>> supported
>>
>> http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids
>
> According to the above, HOLTEK aren't even supposed to make USB audio
> stuff.. :-) Maybe I should send it back & use the compatiblity lists to
> try and get something that's supported out of the box.

I would suggest to ask or to look into the development branches of the linux
kernel or ask the kernel usb audio developers. It might be that they need
to add just the id to the code to get support for it.If you have some C
programming skills you even can try hacking it yourself.

Another option and I think here the problem is that alsa is not working for
this device - thus the system recognizes it but can not associate it with a
driver (snd-usb-audio).

especially this link sound like your problem

http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com/msg1472852.html

regards