Re: USB soundbar as default audio device

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 03:29:19AM EST, deloptes wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:

[..]

> I wanted to know if it is a webcam or something else

Well, no.. they're sort of a longish thing with 2 or more speakers that
you connect to audio sources with weak output, such as subnotebooks or
netbooks, etc.

[..]

> > $ tail /var/log/messages
> >
> > usb 1-1.4: USB disconnect, address 13
> > usb 1-1.4.4: USB disconnect, address 14
> > usb 1-1.4: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 15
> > usb 1-1.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> > hub 1-1.4:1.0: USB hub found
> > hub 1-1.4:1.0: 4 ports detected
> > usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=05e3, idProduct=0607
> > usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
> > usb 1-1.4: Product: USB2.0 Hub
> > usb 1-1.4.4: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 16
> > usb 1-1.4.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> > input: HOLTEK  AudioHub Speaker as /class/input/input11
> > input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Device [HOLTEK  AudioHub Speaker] on
> > usb-0000:00:07.2-1.4.4 usb 1-1.4.4: New USB device found, idVendor=046d,
> > idProduct=0a0e usb 1-1.4.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
> > SerialNumber=0 usb 1-1.4.4: Product: AudioHub Speaker
> > usb 1-1.4.4: Manufacturer: HOLTEK
> >
> > Not much that looks like a reference to a chip, at least to my
> > uneducated eyes. As you notice the device doubles as a USB hub.

 > I couldn't find information about the chip or even if the card is
> supported
>
> http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

According to the above, HOLTEK aren't even supposed to make USB audio
stuff.. :-) Maybe I should send it back & use the compatiblity lists to
try and get something that's supported out of the box.

> > What would a chip identifier look like?

> it doesn't matter when it is usb - the point was the information above
> about the ids

Or maybe I could try plugging it into a Windows system and see what kind
of drivers get installed? That might tell me more about what it really
is and make it easier to search for solutions?

Thanks,

cj