[Fwd: Re: An Aptitude and Repository Question]

Sorry for my mistake, I sent this email to Andrei's private email
instead of the list, so I am re-posting it to the email list.

Eren

From: Debian TR <debiantr.wordpress@gmail.com>
To: Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: An Aptitude and Repository Question
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 15:28:47 +0100

Sure.

I just read the man (apt_preferences) page :)

Then, added the line below to /apt/preferences

Package: tor
Pin: origin "deb.torproject.org"
Pin-Priority: 900

I gave 900 since the testing repo, with the highest pin number, is also
900, so aptitude automatically chooses the highest version. However,
when I do "apt-get cache policy tor", it shows that torproject.org is
still 500. Because aptitude installed the right version, it did not
bother me much.

There was also another example, I tried, like:

Package: tor
Pin: version 0.2.1.27*
Pin-Priority: 1001

I don't know why, but this failed. It still tried to install v0.2.1.26
from testing repo.

One can say that there isn't any difference between v0.2.1.26 and
v0.2.1.27, be right. Yet, it was an educational thing for me :)

Regards,
Eren