Re: What are the dependencies of the gcc-4.2-base package?

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 01:55:37 +0000, Frank Church wrote:

> I was paring down my installation and  the command for gcc-4.2-base more
> or less threatened to wipe out everything on the server.
>
> apt-get purge gcc-4.2-base

Wow, "gcc" is an important package on every linux system:

sm01@stt008:~$ apt-cache show gcc-4.2-base | grep -i priority
sm01@stt008:~$ apt-cache rdepends gcc-4.2-base
gcc-4.2-base
Reverse Depends:
  libstdc++6-4.2-pic
  libstdc++6-4.2-doc
  libstdc++6-4.2-dev
  libstdc++6-4.2-dbg
  libmudflap0-4.2-dev
  libgfortran2
  libgfortran2-dbg
  lib32stdc++6-4.2-dbg
  lib32gfortran2
  lib32gfortran2-dbg
  gobjc-4.2
  gobjc-4.2-multilib
  gobjc++-4.2
  gobjc++-4.2-multilib
  gfortran-4.2
  gfortran-4.2-multilib
  gcc-4.2
  gcc-4.2
  gcc-4.2-source
  gcc-4.2-multilib
  gcc-4.2-locales
  g++-4.2
  g++-4.2-multilib
  cpp-4.2

> Is that the norm, or is it due to a corrupted package database?

(...)

> After this operation, 643MB disk space will be freed. You are about to
> do something potentially harmful. To continue type in the phrase 'Yes,
> do as I say!'

Is the norm for base packages, like this. At least the package manager is
smart enough to warn you against the operation :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón