Re: Cannot mount floppy drive in Squeeze

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 20:11:40 -0500 (EST), Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> I don't know.  My computer does not have a USB floppy drive, that's true.
>> It is a traditional AT-style floppy disk controller with two floppy
>> drives.  And I can no longer reproduce the problem.  Having a floppy
>> disk in the drive at boot time just once seems to have permanently
>> cured the problem.  Did a udev rule get created as a result of a
>> "ready" floppy drive at boot time?  I don't know.  But I don't think
>> there's much point in filing a bug report if I can no longer reproduce
>> the problem and I don't know what cured it.
>
> I spoke too soon.  The problem has recurred.  After some more trial-
> and-error experimentation, the problem now seems to be GNOME-related.
> I can mount and umount the floppy disk UNTIL I logon to GNOME.
> Then, things go haywire.  I have been able to circumvent the problem
> by commenting out the following entries in /etc/fstab and rebooting:
>
> /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
> /dev/fd1        /media/floppy1  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
>
> Now only root can mount and umount floppies.  Since GNOME does not
> run with root privileges, it can't mess me up.

I've been systematically deleting the emails in this thread unread. I
was about to do the same with this one when I remembered a
Ubuntu-users thread/rant about floppies where the apparent solution
was to keep the above lines in "/etc/fstab" and mount floppies with
"udisks --mount /dev/fdX". Since Ubuntu's based on a mix of testing
and unstable and uses the Debian udisks package without "ubuntufying"
it...