Re: problem installing Debian on dual boot with WinXP

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 16:05:32 +0000, Lisi wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 December 2010 15:00:20 Camaleón wrote:

>> I don't know how Ubuntu's installer looks like, but if you have
>> unallocated space in the disk it should be detected.
>>
>> "/dev/sda" is the whole disk (not a Windows partition), while "/dev/
>> sda1", "/dev/sda2", "/dev/sda3" and so on... name the partitions in the
>> disk. Maybe you have to manually select the partitions or tell the
>> installer to look in another place (under some kind of "advanced
>> settings"?).
>
> I have installed XP and Debian without a problem.  But the other day I
> needed to do exactly this, install Ubuntu 10.10 on a dual boot with
> Windows.  It refused to see the empty space, although I tried every
> method I could think of.  Because the 10.10 installation was urgent, I
> wiped the XP off the disk and let 10.10 start from scratch.  Annoying,
> as XP had taken me a day on and off to install, was a right pain, and I
> had hoped to leave it alone.  I also had 10.10 refuse to quadrupal  boot
> on another machine with Debian and 2 other versions of Ubuntu.
>
> I keep hoping that Ubuntu and I will make peace.  Then something like
> this happens and I flee back as soon as I can to Debian.
>
> But 10.10 is great for getting a desktop rapidly to the point of using
> multimedia to the satisfaction of my granddaughter.  For everything else
> I find it a pain. :-(

A bug in Ubuntu installer? :-?

Let me see if can find any install guide for it... yes, here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.10/installation-guide/i386/module-details.html#di-partition

Under "Partitioning and Mount Point Selection" section, it says the user
can choose an "automatic/guided" or "manual" partitioning:

"(...) First you will be given the opportunity to automatically partition
either an entire drive, or available free space on a drive. This is also
called “guided” partitioning. If you do not want to autopartition, choose
Manual from the menu."

I never select an "automatic" setup as it does not always sets the
options I need. So if the automatic wizard fails to detect the available
partitions, better proceed with "Manual". Manual partitioning has to detect
the available drives and partitions, if not, the Ubuntu installer has a big
problem (I understand it can have any issue for detecting fake raid
controllers or some special LVM setup, but plain sata/ide hard disks and
their partitions have to be detected) :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón