Re: problem installing Debian on dual boot with WinXP

On Tuesday 07 December 2010 15:00:20 Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 12:46:54 +0100, Bernard wrote:
> > I wish to install Linux on a computer where MSWIN XP is already running.
> > I thought I would first resize (shrink) the windows partition so as to
> > create free space for Linux install. I did that, using GParted. Problem
> > is : at next step, when trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 with an iso CD,
> > the install system does not see any useful partition. It only sees
> > /dev/sda, while it should show /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2. Using
> > "SystemRescueCD', I am able to mount both partitions and display their
> > size using 'df', but the Ubuntu install system does not see them.
> > Whether I format /dev/sda2 to ext2 or ntfs, or if I just leave the space
> > without formating, the Ubuntu install CD does not see any suitable space
> > for that purpose.
>
> (...)
>
> Stop here.
>
> I don't know how Ubuntu's installer looks like, but if you have
> unallocated space in the disk it should be detected.
>
> "/dev/sda" is the whole disk (not a Windows partition), while "/dev/
> sda1", "/dev/sda2", "/dev/sda3" and so on... name the partitions in the
> disk. Maybe you have to manually select the partitions or tell the
> installer to look in another place (under some kind of "advanced
> settings"?).

I have installed XP and Debian without a problem.  But the other day I needed
to do exactly this, install Ubuntu 10.10 on a dual boot with Windows.  It
refused to see the empty space, although I tried every method I could think
of.  Because the 10.10 installation was urgent, I wiped the XP off the disk
and let 10.10 start from scratch.  Annoying, as XP had taken me a day on and
off to install, was a right pain, and I had hoped to leave it alone.  I also
had 10.10 refuse to quadrupal  boot on another machine with Debian and 2
other versions of Ubuntu.

I keep hoping that Ubuntu and I will make peace.  Then something like this
happens and I flee back as soon as I can to Debian.

But 10.10 is great for getting a desktop rapidly to the point of using
multimedia to the satisfaction of my granddaughter.  For everything else I
find it a pain. :-(

Lisi