Re: Non native English speaker is checking whether a phrasing should be filed a minor bug report.

On 12/01/2010 03:52 AM, Anthony Campbell wrote:
On 30 Nov 2010, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
Yes, it is obviously changing.  These days it is preferred to use,
"proved," as the past participle of prove instead of, "proven."  The
same goes for, "strived."  To me it seems that language change is,
therefore, a gived.

Well, this is getting considerably off-topic, but "proved" and "proven"
should be used in diffent contexts. "Proven" is a legal term, as in the
verdict permitted in Scotland, "not proven", which means "We think you
did it but the prosecution hasn't made its case." Apart from this the
right form is "proved", as in "the theorem has been proved".

I have seen the usage," The treatment has proven effective in relieving
the symptoms."  The modernism that really bugs me is the loss of
"gotten."  But you may still hear someone described as "clean-shaven."

I realize that the  "colony" country is always behind the mother in its
language--Canadian French is more like the French spoken in France
in the 1600s or 1700s, altho it is more modern of late due to radio,
TV and movies.

Before radio and TV were common everywhere in the US, there were
dialects of American that were almost incomprehensible to a modern
US speaker.  When I was in the Air Force in the later 1950s, I ran into
a couple of fellows from somewhere back in the Kentucky hills, and
I swear they were speaking a language much more akin to Shakespear's
than my New York-ese.  And the patois of the backwoods Louisianan,
where (an old) French was the more common lingua franca--no pun
intended--was equally abstruse to my citified ears.

Interestingly enough, I know today one of those Louisianans, and
while I could understand him in 1956 (his dialect wasn't as thick as some)
he has lost just about all of it, living in California for the last 50 years,
as well as taking to the road with a number of musical organizations.
You may have heard of him:  Gib Guilbeau, who played with The
Flying Burrito Brothers for some time, as well as other groups.
He also writes music, and has a couple of gold LP's to show for it.

--doug