Re: Non native English speaker is checking whether a phrasing should be filed a minor bug report.

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:33:42 -0600
John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:

> Cybe R. Wizard writes:
> > Having been taught the same rule, I also find the sentence
> > nonsensical and for that same reason.
>
> I was also taught that rule.
>
> > The misuse of pronouns to refer to other than the most recent prior
> > noun is a great grinding pain to me when others so craft their
> > language.
>
> Doesn't bother me at all.  The language has changed. (The current fad
> for misusing "issue" and "fail" irritates the hell out of me, though.)

Yes, it is obviously changing.  These days it is preferred to use,
"proved," as the past participle of prove instead of, "proven."  The
same goes for, "strived."  To me it seems that language change is,
therefore, a gived.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
A piece of writing is like a piece of magic. You create something out
of nothing. Susanna Clarke