Re: usb mount pmd661

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 15:19:20 +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:

> * Camaleón [101101 15:00]:
>> On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 14:35:11 +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
>>
>> > Has anyone figured out how to mount a Marantz PMD661 flash memory
>> > recorder in Linux in order to copy the audio files to a computer? or
>> > is necessary to run a Window$ machine in order to access the device?
>>
>> There is a bug report for Ubuntu:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/util-linux/+bug/589369
>>
>> Maybe you can take a look and check if you are experencing the same
>> problem.
>
> Thanks, Camaleón.  I found the report several days ago, but I did not
> fully understand it.  The symptoms I see are similar, except that
> mounting manually with "mount -t vfat" does not work for me; mount
> returns an error message that /dev/sdb1 does not exist, even though I do
> see "sdb" in the output of dmesg.

As fas as I understand, it seems to be a problem with SDHC cards
formatted using a Marantz PMD661 device. Linux cannot automount them and
manually mounting will return an error about "invalid info signature".

> Also, I do not understand how to "hack the FISINFO"; the report says:
>
>     "Then I hacked the FSINFO back to the standard value using
>     hexeditor. Linux automount started working and the Marantz recorder
>     was not adversely affected, still being able to read and write the
>     card with no problems."
>
> Is this done by mounting the SD memory card with a external card reader?
>  And is this done with the Debian package "hexer"?  I would like to try
> this work-around.

I'm afraid I cannot decipher that gibberish either :-)

What did the user do? I'd say that using an hexadecimal editor it managed
to modify the proprierties of the fat32 format but... from a linux box?
And how, exactly? Dunno :-?

I would contact the user to ask him what he did but I cannot see an e-
mail address nor other contact details in Launchpad.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón