VMware install bi-passes iso file

I hope someone might be able to help me with installing debian as
guest by way of vmware.

I have some small experience with both Debian and VMware and have
successfully installed it that way several times.

Its been a good while... maybe over a yr.  And I'm using a newer
version of VMware... 7.1 on windows 7

I downloaded the iso DVD (4.4 GB what a hefty download) Told the
vmware dialog to use the iso file as CDrom. When I start the vm it
zips right thru to a blank screen and no install media ever fires up.

That is, it offers a chance to access the bios and then its just a
black screen... nothing more happens.

I set the bios to boot from Cdrom, and also tried `removable devices'
which is apparently VMware default.  Neither worked.

I'm also installing opensolaris into a vmware, and in that case the
iso was recognized straight off and the install went right through.

The Debian isos are meant to be bootable in this way right?

Also, I wasn't really sure if I'm getting the right one.  The hardware
is (intel) i7 Q820 multiple cores with windows 7 64 bit.

I downloaded the `ia64' iso.... is that the right one.. or would it
still be i386

Oh, and I went back and got the netinst ISO and tired it too.  Again
ia64 and again the behavior did not change.

Can anyone coach me a bit on this?