Re: Trying to use a Nokia N95 as a modem over USB

Dne, 01. 11. 2010 15:44:33 je Andrew Malcolmson napisal(a):

Hi Klistvud,

I've never got Bluetooth tethering working.  Bluetooth pairing is fine
but when I use the Debian built-in Bluetooth and attempt the DUN
setup, I get a timeout error during 'detecting phone details'.  Using
the  Blueman DUN wizard I get "Device Added Successfully but Failed to
Connect".

It sound like the phone is not responding to the request but only only
relevant setting I found is 'modem' under Settings/Connectivity where
the only option is infrared.  My model is the N95-3.  Maybe the N95 8M
is the only one with Bluetooth tethering.

No, I have an older N95 (that would probably be N95-1 or something like that) and it works flawlessly. The thing is, I spent several days hunting down relevant info all over Google in order to make it work. Some configuration had to be entered manually, IIRC. For some things, I went "by nose", installing Gnome PPP and what not. I've never heard of this Blueman DUN wizard. The modem is located at /dev/rfcomm0, while Gnome PPP will only detect /dev/modem and /dev/ttySx, so its autodetection is of no use. The hardest part, however, was finding the relevant codes and numbers and initiation strings for my GSM provider; providers like to obfuscate these data in proprietary files, pre-packaged for Windows (and for Macs at best).

this is my /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf:

<code>

#
# RFCOMM configuration file.
#

rfcomm0 {
#	# Automatically bind the device at startup
	bind yes;
#
#	# Bluetooth address of the device
	device 00:11:22:33:44:55;
#
#	# RFCOMM channel for the connection
	channel	4;
#
#	# Description of the connection
	comment "Nokia N95 Dial-Up Networking";
}

<edoc>

Of course, you must supply your true Nokia's MAC inthere. For finding the right channel, I think you can use hcitool or something like that. I repeat, it's quite a bit of work. If you want me to post any additional config files, just say so.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.