Re: Debian based NAS? What to buy?

 On 9/6/2010 1:46 PM, Francisco Borges wrote:
On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 4:36 AM, Jeff Latta<engineer@windpumps.ca>  wrote:
Francisco Borges wrote:
I am thinking about buying a new NAS box. Not a DIY box, but a ready
to use NAS (2 to max 4 trays) for home use (it has to be *small* and
quiet).
I'm looking for one of those too.  I will probably go with the QNAP TS-219P
because of its relatively small size and low power consumption which is 5W
in sleep and 21W in operation.  It does have one fan.  Sound level is
specified at 36.3 dB in operation.
The only NAS (I know of) without a fan is also from QNAP but IIRC it's
a single drive (TS-119).

{snip}

I'm using a Intel D510MO board with a 4 port SATA card (total 6 ports) in a Apex M008 case that I modified (pretty simple really) to hold 5 - 3.5" drives and a 100mm Scythe fan - specifically for the drives . I could see 4 HDD's being pretty easy with a slim DVD or 3 with a full height DVD. It has a 250W SFX P/S. Well worth it for $39 i picked it up from newegg for. Even if I upgraded the PS to a more efficient model it would keep the cost around $100 (US).

It's running freenas right now, but, when I built I threw lenny and squeeze on it to test the HW compatibility and play around with BTRFS. Everything was perfect, even ACPI Suspend/Resume and WOL worked from a clean install. Since it was purpose built, I'll stick with freeNAS until OpenMediaVault, a Debian based NAS project releases. Debian HW and ACPI support on the D510MO is better than FreeBSD 7.2 at least.

It currently has 2 - 1.5T drives in a mirror and the only audible sound (barely) from 1m is the drives spinning up - My power settings are pretty aggressive and it's only awake on-demand so the drives are spun down or powered off more than not. I'd say I have about $270 US invested - with lots of room to grow.